Saturday, September 19, 2015

A Plastic Pumpkin, Paper Mache Witch Hat, and German Glass Glitter

Just add a little glitter, she said.

It'll be quick, she said.....

Anyone who knows me, knows I'm never satisfied
with just whipping something up.


After glamming up the little black cauldron
I couldn't resist playing with a little pumpkin favor.


I never planned the outcome, and just had fun gluing away.

While I could've stopped with the jack-o-lantern,
I so badly wanted to add a witch hat.


I bought some paper-mache cones recently, 
and a witch hat was the first thing I thought of
when I saw them. I knew if I didn't use them all for Halloween,
I could make mini Christmas trees out of them.
As it turns out, I painted them all black,
but not before gluing hat rims to them.
Neatness wasn't really a necessity,
since I was adding paint and glitter.

I used a variety of Meyer Imports German glass glitters for this.
My new favorite glitter color is Black.
So much immediate impact.
I love it!


The hat is covered with 80-grit black glass glitter.
The band is 90-grit orange glass glitter.
The rim is black mica flakes. It almost looks satiny!

I first pulled out the plastic handle on the pumpkin.
It occurred to me that if I painted it black first,
it would accentuate the sections after embellishing,
if I left the crevices black. I was right!
(Since you're painting plastic, I recommend 
chalk or chalkboard paint, but some craft paints are also
available now for multi-surfaces.)


The pumpkin is covered with Autumn Hues Medley,
which is a multi-color glass glitter mix.
To really make the "carved" face stand out, 
I filled the areas with 90-grit Black glass glitter,
and framed them with metallic gold paint.


After putting the hat together with the jack-o-lantern,
it needed something more to balance it out,
so I decided a dazzling little circle as a base
would give it the final touch it needed.

I painted a chipboard disk black, drew a star pattern on it
then glued it to the base. I felt it would be easier
to glue it to the pumpkin first, then I wouldn't have to worry
about leaving enough bare chipboard to
glue the pumpkin to.
I filled in the star with more 90-grit orange glitter,
and filled in around it with 90-grit black glitter.


Finally, I wanted to keep the pumpkin favor functional.
After numerous ideas, I came up with a simple
hinge design. I hot glued a piece of black wire to
the inside of the hat, then threaded it through
the existing handle hole and curled it.
Works like a charm!
For the other handle hole, I glued
a curly wire in for a final zhoozh. :) 
It also works like a handle!

This is a very lightweight piece, so not for heavy duty use.
Regardless what you use it for, it's a good idea to seal the glitter 
with clear coat for minimal shedding.


Isn't it amazing what some glitter and chipboard can do!

Come Join me on Instagram



LINKING TO:





4 comments:

  1. Wow, you'd never know this started as a boring plastic pumpkin. What a fun transformation. Thanks for sharing at VIParty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable!!! Just love what you did with these. Both of these projects are so darn cute! You've "glammed" them up very nicely. I need to buy more glitter!!! Just love your Halloween crafting spirit...thanks for sharing. I popped over from My Salvaged Treasures. Have a lovely week ~ Mickie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...